When we signed up for a week of volunteering coffee-picking at a finca (agricultural estate) in the north of Ecuador, we arrived to the most beautiful farmhouse with an outdoor kitchen stocked full of farm grown veggies and exotic fruits. We could cook whatever we wanted; the only rule was that it had to be vegetarian. Here’s a deliciously simple recipe for broccoli pasta – with a bit of lemon it’s a perfect match!
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Cooking tip: If you have a little mint on hand it would be delicious in this recipe. We found some in the garden only after we ate!
3 Tablespoons olive oil
3-5 garlic cloves, finely chopped (depending on how much you like garlic)
1 teaspoon dried chili flakes
2 cups broccoli
½ cup green peas
1 lemon, zest and juice
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the pasta so it’s just under-done. Set aside.
2. Heat up the oil in a pan and add most of the garlic. Cook until the garlic begins to turn golden. Add the chili flakes and the zest of 1 lemon, cook for a further minute. Remove the garlic from the pan and set aside.
3. Increase to a high heat, add the broccoli and peas, stir-fry for a few minutes until it begins to brown.
4. Continue to fry until the vegetables begin to soften, but still maintain a bit of crunch
5. Add the last of the garlic and pasta to the pan and then add the juice of 1 lemon. Continue cooking until the pasta becomes al dente and is coated in the delicious lemony-garlicky sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.